At Newtown the present Officials and Committee would like to think that the facilities at Mid Wales Leisure Latham Park and the playing structure illustrate what is good about the Welsh Football scene. The Club are involved in a continuous programme of improvements both on and off the field of play but know the base for this kind of development was set when the Club moved to the site in 1951.
Over the years Newtown have had a number of homes but the Officials and General Committee of the late 1940's took the decision to construct a new playing headquarters at the site which was named Latham Park. The progressive step of constructing and purchasing such a playing facility was a far sighted one and the present officials, Committee and Players owe much to their counterparts (and the supporters and community) of some 35 years ago.
The decision to name the new ground Latham Park was made to honour a local sporting hero - Captain George Latham who had played for Liverpool, Stoke City and Cardiff City, and won twelve international caps for Wales at the start of the century. George Latham joined Cardiff City as a player in 1911 and played a major role in the development of that Club and their entry into the Football League. He later became the Cardiff City trainer and held this position when Cardiff had their historic F.A. Cup victory against Arsenal in 1926/27.The reward for a great deal of community efforts was the opening of Latham Park in August 1951. The first competitive game took place on August 25th, 1951 when Newtown beat Aberystwyth in the Central Wales League 4 - 0 in front of 1,211 spectators.
The largest crowd to watch a game was on June 28th, 1956 when 5,004 saw Newtown play Swansea City in the Welsh Cup. More recently the Club has staged many representative games including the first Non League international between Wales and England and a number of UEFA Youth Internationals. Today the ground has had certain improvements made to it but the sound base was laid some 35 years ago.
The ground capacity today is fixed at 5,000 and the original Stand has 210 seats with a further covered accommodation for approximately 500. A new 400 seater stand was completed during the 1997/98 season. The Officials are continually reviewing the programme of ground improvements with a quality playing surface always being seen as an important factor. The staging of the UEFA Cup fixture in July 1996 was another major milestone in the history of the Club.
The provision of new changing facilities and a new facility for T.V. coverage will further enhance the facilities.
The ownership of the Ground is an asset many Clubs would wish to have and the far sighted and progressive policy of previous Committees at the Club is illustrated by this fact. Enhancing and expanding the changing facilities to accommodate youth and community involvement is another strand to the developments the Club have in mind.
Visiting Officials are suitably impressed by Latham Park and the present Officials and Committee acknowledge their debt to the many people who made Latham Park become a reality and a facility that has found recognition from organisations like the HFS Loans League and the Football Association of Wales.
The Club welcomes its visitors in the hope that they will return at some time again in the near future to enjoy the facilities and hospitality the Club offers. The club aims to create a regional centre facility which will regularly attract high profile games and be an asset for the local sporting community.