Latest News

First half Robins horror show

REPORT - Carmarthen Town 3-2 Robins


- Rushton and then Mills-Evans reduced the deficit 
- Only the second defeat in seven 


A first half horror show did the damage at Richmond Park as the Robins impressive run ended with defeat in West Wales.

In a calamity first half, Carmarthen scored three soft goals, two from Liam Thomas either side of an Aiden O’Kelly strike.

The Robins made a better fist of things in the second half as first Nick Rushton prodded home, before Kieran Mills-Evans scored his second in as many games late on.

But it was too little too late as the Robins tasted defeat for the second time in seven outings.

The Robins were looking to continue their fine form and take the game to the struggling Old Gold.

In the opening minutes a ball down the channel from Ryan Sears found Nick Rushton, who pulled it back for Ryan Kershaw, but his goal bound effort was deflected wide.

Kershaw was looking lively in the opening exchanges, having a free kick hit the wall before Alex Fletcher volleyed the re-bound wide.

However against the run of play the Robins found themselves a goal behind on the quarter hour mark.

Luke Cummings found space to cross for Jones, whose knock down allowed Liam Thomas to hook the ball past Jack Perry.

After a turbulent week off the pitch, the Old Gold were fast becoming the better side on it.

And just over five minutes later they found themselves two goals to the good.

A corner saw Jones unmarked at the back post with Jack Perry beating away his volley, but the ball was recycled for O’Kelly whose dipping shot went through Perry and in.

The Robins were trying to play their football but there was no end product.

Neil Smother’s side were succeeding with a direct approach, but were being helped by a catalogue of defensive errors from the Robins.

Six minutes before the break they found themselves further behind as Cummings skipped forward and hung up a cross, and Thomas headed down and in off Perry.

The Robins were dealt a further blow before the break as Jamie Reed went down and couldn’t continue.

However it was a chance for Ethan Jones to make himself an instant hero from the bench, as he attempted to inspire a Robins comeback.

Kershaw had a shot saved and Jay Denny fired high over the bar, as the Robins stepped out for the second period with a bit more urgency.

However they could have found themselves four behind ten minutes in, had Perry not saved well from Jones with his feet, after Fletcher slipped in possession in a dangerous area.

The Robins were huffing and puffing, but to no avail.

Callum Roberts fired over, Ethan Jones flashed an effort cross goal, before Kershaw danced through the defence only to be denied by Luke Thomas’ outstretched hand.

Kershaw was taking the game to Carmarthen, as he drew another smart save from the keeper with a curling shot, before the Robins pulled one back.

Jones received the ball and spun his man before fireing in a low cross for Rushton to turn in.

The Robins continued to come forward in droves, camping in the Carmarthen half, with the only visitors only looking threatening from Newtown mistakes.

Cummings fired a free kick over for Carmarthen, but he was doing most of his work at the back, defending as a unit with the back four and keeping Newtown at bay.

With a minute of normal time left the Robins set the game up for a grand stand finish, as Mills-Evans headed home a second.

And with seconds remaining, Luke Boundford cut inside to curl the ball goal wards, but it sailed just over the bar.

Carmarthen – L Thomas, Vincent, Surman, O’Kelly (Sheehan 46), Cummings, Hanford, Morgan, Green, Bowen (Lewis 73), Jones, L Thomas (Knott 90)

Subs not used – Coultress, Hall, Foschi

Yellow – Morgan 21, Cummings 77

Robins – Jones, Williams, Sears, Mills-Evans, Roberts, Fletcher, Mitchell, Rushton, Denny (Boundford 82), Kershaw, Reed (E Jones 40)

Subs not used – Goodwin, Kenton, Harries, Evans

Yellow – Williams 84