Latest News

Key games from the campaign

Some of the key moments from this season

It has been an eventful season as a Robins fan to say the least.

There have been some early season lows, which sprung into second phase highs.

It is safe to say there hasn't been a dull moment being a Robins fan this year.

As the penultimate game of the season tomorrow at Airbus is upon us, press officer Jonny Drury takes a look at eight of the key moments from the season so far.

Robins 0-0 Bala Town

The scoreline looks boring, it was far from it. The season began with renewed optimism among the LP faithful.

It was a fantastic atmosphere, after a string of summer signings from the gaffer. We battered Bala, who admitted they were lucky to escape with a point.

Chance came and went, ending with Neil Mitchell's spot kick being saved.

Even after the game though, the fans were exciting after seeing such a top class display. The following weeks didn't live up the heights of the opening day.


Airbus 0-2 Robins

It hadn't been the best of starts, and after just one win all season, we were bottom, four points adrift of safety.

We travelled to Airbus, needing a win, to pull us back to Airbus and within the chasing pack.

Neil Mitchell and Ross Stephens struck in the second half, and we breathed a sigh of relief.

Newtown 2-1 GAP Connah's Quay

Like buses, nothing comes for ages, then two come along at one.

GAP were flying high, but were grounded by two Mitchell strikes, and it looked as if, like the manager had been saying, the season had turned.

A 1-0 defeat at Druids six days later brought everyone back down to earth.


Rhyl 1-3 Newtown

Four goals, three red cards, and a massive, massive three points.

In driving rain, on a horrible rainy day in Rhyl the Robins showed the spirit that has gained them so much respect in recent campaigns.

Owen Evans' own goal gave us the lead, before Jamie Price saw red, followed by Rob Hughes for Rhyl.

Ryan Kershaw doubled the lead on the break, before Rio Ahamdi reduced the arrears. Then a silly Zyaac Edwards red card ended Rhl's day, and centre half Andy Jones slotted home on the break to seal the deal.

A huge three points ahead of the festive period.

Newtown 2-2 Aberystwyth Town

There is a depleted squad, then there was this.

Injuries and suspensions saw us with two subs going into the game, one being an injured Tom Goodwin.

That reduced to one sub when Shane Sutton was told he couldn't play because of a cut tendon in his hand.

Joe Clarke scored and it looked like Aber would complete a double, before Mitchell, and then Luke Boundford, virtually running on one leg for the game, turned it around.

Seconds to go and Clarke levelled, but despite the disappointing end, it was to be a pivotal turning point in the Robins campaign.


Newtown 3-3 The New Saints

If anyone could stop the Saints world record winning streak. it was the Robins.

We are the Saints bogey team, and that showed in the final game of the first phase.

Mitchell gave the Robins an early lead, before Greg Draper, Aeron Edwards and Adrian Cieslewicz.

However it was to be a Robins late show, as Nick Rushton notched his first goal back at LP, before Jamie Price's last minute free kick levelled it up, and broke the world record. Turning point.


Airbus 1-4 Newtown

Unbeaten so far, the Robins steam rolled Airbus with four goals, of a total of eight within six days.

Alex Fletcher, whose reputation in the league was growing scored twice, as did goal machine Jason Oswell.

A rare late strike for Kieran Mills-Evans followed as the Robins sauntered towards safety.


Rhyl 0-2 Newtown 

Safety secured.

Another feisty affair at Belle Vue saw Robins soak up pressure against  a Rhyl side desperate for points.

Joe Kenton notched his first Robins goal, before Oswell secured the win, and the turnaround was complete.

Fantastic achievement. All eyes on the play-offs.