Latest News

Late goal denies Robins point

REPORT - Robins 1-2 Bangor City

The Robins winless run continued as a goal in each half from Dean Rittenburg handed Bangor all three points.

Despite a much improved performance, the Robins were behind at the break as the Citizen’s striker volleyed home right on half time.

Jamie Reed’s back heel brought the Robins back on level terms, but seven minutes from time Rittenburg robbed goalkeeper Dave Jones of the ball and rolled it into an empty net.

The Robins went into the game in desperate need of points, and started the day in the bottom two following Aberystwyth’s win over Cefn Druids on Friday evening.

There looked to be more urgency about them in the opening exchanges, as they looked to add to Bangor’s recent miserable run.

However the first chance of the game went the way of the Citizen’s.

Newtown lost the ball in the middle of the park, and a pass found Luke Wall who ran clear down the left, however his shot was saved by Dave Jones.

On the quarter hour mark Newtown should have been ahead with their first chance of the game.

Joe Kenton cut in from the left and his cross evaded the Bangor backline to find Reed six yards out, but he fired his effort straight at Matthew Hall.

Bangor were having more of the ball, however they their chances were limited.

Steve Hewitt fired a long range effort over, and Rittenburg nodded a header wide of the mark from a George Harry cross.

The Robins were much improved from the last two games, and were looking like they could pose a threat on the break.

Kenton seemed to be the main Robins danger, and he fired in a low cross into the box that was just gathered by the Bangor stopper on the half hour mark.

Ten minutes before the break he was involved in a collision down the other end, which left Bangor players calling for a spot kick.

He came together with Laurence Wilson in the Robins box, but Kris Hames waved away strong claims from players and the travelling Bangor fans behind the goal.

As the half closed in the Robins were on the front foot as James Murphy headed over, and then Craig Williams teed the ball up and fired a dipping volley just over the bar.

However just when it looked as though it would be level at the break, Bangor stung the Robins with a goal right on half time.

Wall’s cross was flicked on by Hewitt, and Rittenburg was left unmarked at the back post to fire the ball into the roof of the net.

The goal came against the run of play and was harsh on the Robins.

They began on the front foot again in the second half, as first Neil Mitchell fired over, and then Kenton’s scuffed effort pin balled around in the Bangor box.

Reed produced a superb cross from the right but no one was on the end of it for a simple tap in.

Bangor began to enjoy a spell of possession just after the hour mark, with the dangerous Brayden Shaw firing just over the bar from distance.

The Robins were pressing but like in previous weeks the final ball and the end product was lacking.

Then with 15 minutes the Robins got themselves back on level terms.

A free kick was headed back into the mix by Luke Boundford, and Reed back heeled the ball into the net.

Just as they had got themselves back in the game, the Robins nearly fell behind for a second time.

Sion Edwards’ cross beat everyone and fell to an unmarked Anthony Miley at the back post, but he skewed his shot wide from six yards.

With ten seven minutes to go it was anyone’s game, however a mistake from keeper Jones gifted Bangor the lead.

The ball was played back to the Robins stopper, but he lost the ball under pressure from Rittenburg who calmly slotted the ball into an empty net.

The Robins came forward again and had two chances late on to snatch a point.

Craig Williams fired a free kick over and then in the last minute, the ball bounced around in the Bangor box, and Kieran Mills-Evans had a diving header cleared off the line.

Newtown – Jones, Williams, Harries, Mills-Evans, Sears, Denny, Mitchell, Kenton, Rushton (Boundford 72), Reed, Murphy

Subs not used – Perry, Evans, Cadwallader, Cartwright

Yellow – Jones 67, Miley 90

Bangor City – Hall, Holmes (Allen 13), Kennedy, Wall, Miley, Harry, Hewitt, Shaw, Williams (Edwards 55), Rittenburg (Demetriou 84), Wilson

Subs not used – Roberts, Jones, Cayola