Latest News

Losing start for Robins

REPORT - Bala Town 3-0 Robins



It was a disappointing opening to the JD Welsh Premier League season for the Robins as Bala ran out convincing winners at Maes Tegid this evening.

The Lakesiders struck twice in two first half minutes as Chris Venables found the net and Evan Horwood’s free kick caught Dave Jones cold.

Despite a couple of chances the Robins seldom troubled the Bala keeper and Mike Hayes added to the score line in the second half.

With just moments to go Newtown were reduced to ten men as Leon Clowes was handed a second yellow card on a poor opening evening for the Reds.

In the driving Gwynedd rain the Lakesiders were out of the blocks quicker and could have had a couple of goals early on.

Nathan Burke had a speculative effort cleared before Venables headed a David Thompson back across goal, but no one was there to fire home.

Moments later a ball over the top left the Robins defence standing, but they got lucky as Hayes’ radar was way off and he lashed wide.

Horwood went close with a free kick as Bala were beginning to build up ahead of steam.

It was tough going for the new look Robins as they were struggling to assert themselves on the game.

Bala’s early pressure eventually paid off on 29 minutes as they caught the Robins backline cold to take the lead.

Jordan Evans’ pass found Venables who sprung the offside trap and fired low across Dave Jones and into the net.

And before the Robins could take a breather they were two behind.

As the Robins were preparing for Horwood to whip a free kick into the box, he took it quickly and curled it into Jones’ near post.

The Robins were stunned but as the half drew to a close they were presented with two fantastic chances to get back in the game.

First Luke Boundford crossed from the right side and found an unmarked Nick Rushton at the back post, but he could only head straight at Morris.

And then two minutes before the break Boundford flicked on a Jamie Price free kick to the Robins number eight, who’s looping head landed inches wide of the post.

Again it was backs to the wall for the Robins at the start of the second period, which began in controversial style.

A ball deflected off Leon Clowes back to Jones who picked it up. Huw Jones deemed it to be a back pass and awarded an indirect free kick.

Fortunately Jones snuffed out the free kick and pushed it behind for a corner.

Newtown were under pressure as Jones reacted well and parried a well hit Stuart Jones effort then Hayes beat keeper in the air, but his flick on was cleared off line by Clowes.

Much like the first period they started to settle after soaking up early pressure, as Kershaw went close with two efforts before Rushton fired a Jamie Reed knock down wide.

Jamie Price saw a rasping free kick deflected wide 25 minutes from time as the Robins were huffing and puffing to get a goal back.

However the margin was widened moments later as neat build up play in the box ended with Hayes smashing into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

Chris Hughes threw on Neil Mitchell and James Murphy in an attempt to get back in the game, but the Robins failed to carve out any chances.

The evening went from bad worse in the final minute of stoppage time as the ref adjudged a coming together between Clowes and the striker to be a foul.

He went in his pocket and produced a harsh second yellow to reduce Newtown to ten men and complete a disappointing night for the Robins.

Bala Town – Morris, Jones (Bell 69), S Jones, Owens, Horwood (Rule 90), Venables, Thompson, Burke, Evans, Hayes, Davies (A Jones 76)

Subs not used – Vernon, Sheridan, Bell

Yellow – Horwood 11, L Owens 54

Newtown – Jones, Williams, Mills-Evans, Clowes, Price, Kershaw (Cartwright 84), Goodwin, Denny, Boundford (Murphy 69), Rushton (Mitchell 69), Reed

Subs not used – Perry, Litchfield, W Evans

Yellow – Price 15, Kershaw 26, Denny 45, Clowes 51