Latest News

Massive three points at Carm

REPORT - Carmarthen Town 0-2 Robins


Super sub Luke Boundford inspired Newtown to a precious three points at a sodden Richmond Park.

The game was deadlocked when the long serving wide man came on and powered a header into the net eight minutes from time.

And then he won a free kick which led to the second goal four minutes later, which saw Neil Mitchell follow in Jamie Reed’s parried set piece.

In a game described beforehand as a ‘six pointer’, the league’s bottom sides were up for the fight.

And that showed early on and almost cost the Old Gold a man after just ten minutes.

As JoJo Harries went to clip a ball down the flank, Ceri Morgan came clattering into him with a high tackle, leaving both benches incensed.

Mark Aizlewood unhappy a foul was given, and Chris Hughes seething that Morgan didn’t see more than a yellow card.

The Old Gold had the majority of the play in the opening 15 minutes, but it was the Robins looking the sharper on the break.

First James Murphy found space down the left to cross for Reed, whose attempted flick was turned behind for a corner.

Moments later on opposite flank and a slick move saw Craig Williams cross for Murphy, and his effort went behind for another corner.

However the best chance of the opening exchanges came for the home side on 22 minutes.

Liam Griffiths wriggled through before being denied when one on one with Dave Jones, before Liam Walsh blazed the re-bound out of the ground.

Then came Newtown’s best chance of the half, and it was a fantastic one at that.

A ball into the box was cleared and then booked back in by Ryan Sears, and it fell kindly for Murphy who connected with a stinging volley that was superbly pushed away by Idzi.

Kerian Lewis again tested the palms of Jones with a rasping long range effort, as Carmarthen enjoyed a sustained spell of possession without clear cut chances.

As the half drew to a close an Old Gold player almost found the net but it would have been the wrong net.

A Williams long throw was flicked on by a Robins head, and the ball ricocheted off Dan Sheehan and just over the bar.

The second period was a cagey affair, as both sides knew how much they needed to win, but also knew defeat today would be devastating.

Reed went close early on with a flick from a Joe Kenton cross, before Griffiths cut in from the left and saw a shot easily gathered by Jones.

It was a very scrappy affair, and Carmarthen brought on Kostas Georgievsky in an attempt to give their side a lift.

However it was another substitute that did just the trick for Newtown.

15 minutes from time Boundford replaced Murphy and with almost his first act, he powered home a free header from a corner, past the helpless Idzi to give his side the lead.

It had the feel it could be a nervy last five minutes of sitting in and defending a slender lead.

However the Newtown players were feeling kind, and were not prepared to put the travelling faithful through any late anxiety.

Boundford seemed to be an inspired substitution by Hughes, as he glided through three players and won a free kick in a dangerous area three minutes from time.

Reed lashed in a free kick that was parried by Idzi, but Mitchell followed in and took his time before lashing into the roof of the net.

It still made for a nervy last few moments as Georgivesky fired wide from close range, and Kyle Williams saw a shot go inches past the post.

But the Robins saw the game through and picked up a vital three points to lift them up to ninth.

Carmarthen Town – Idzi, Cummings, Surman, Sheehan, Knott, Walsh (Williams 86), Morgan, Lewis, Thomas, Griffiths, Bassett (Georgievsky 58)

Subs not used – D Thomas, Smothers

Yellow – Morgan 10, Bassett 26, Thomas 85

Robins – Jones, Williams, Sears, Mills-Evans, Harries, Cartwright, Mitchell, Murphy (Boundford 74), Kenton, Reed, Rushton (Goodwin 86)

Yellow – Harries 63

Subs not used – Perry, Price, Cadwallader, Evans, J Jones