Latest News

Robins advance in the cup

REPORT - Robins 2-0 Guilsfield


A goal in either half helped the Robins progress past a stubborn Guilsfield side into the fourth round of the JD Welsh Cup.

The Huws Gray Alliance side were in it throughout, however the Robins got themselves in front midway through the first half through Neil Mitchell.

Asa Hamilton spurned a superb chance to level the scores, before Jamie Reed scored from a narrow angle mid way through the half to seal the win. 

As expected Guilsfield were up for the cup and spurned a decent opportunity within in a minute of the kick off.

Jake Cook lofted a ball over the top for Chris Cathrall, but he couldn’t only loop an effort high over the Robins cross bar.

The visitors were showing a lot of intensity and trying to press to get their noses in front.

However the best two chances in the opening 20 minutes fell the way of the Robins.

First Kieran Mills-Evans turned smartly in the box and volleyed into the side netting, before Reed saw an effort go narrowly over the bar.

After 24 minutes the Robins did get themselves in front, and it came from a trademark Luke Boundford long throw.

He slung the ball into the box, and as Guilsfield failed to clear, Mitchell took advantage and fired low into the net.

Moments later it should have been two as the Robins tore the visitors’ backline apart with a superb move.

James Murphy found Reed who spun is man and found Murphy again, and he played a defence splitting pass for Tom Goodwin.

However the advancing midfielder was denied when one on one with Lee Andrew.

Guilsfield were getting into good areas, and Callum Bromley flashed a dangerous cross into the box on the half hour mark.

Down the other end Reed failed with an attempted overhead kick, before former Robins defender Sam Litchfield glanced wide late in the half for the visitors.

Guilsfield again came firing out of the traps and had a great chance just moments into the half.

A long thrown fell to Andy Ford, whose goal bound volley was headed off the line by Mills-Evans.

Reed had a tame free kick blocked at the other end, before Guilsfield carved out a superb opportunity and should really been level.

Cathrall found Asa Hamilton, who sprung the offside trap and rounded Dave Jones, but Mills-Evans was back on the line to clear the danger.

Chances were coming at both ends as Cathrall tested Jones’ gloves with a free kick, before Boundford ballooned over for Newtown.

Newtown looked likely to get a second as Mills-Evans headed narrowly over, before the second goal did finally arrived 25 minutes from time.

Substitute Iwan Cartwright started the move and found Mitchell, who played a superb reverse pass into Reed and he slotted the ball through Lee Andrew’s legs from a narrow angle.

Guilsfield huffed and puffed in the latter stages of the game but to no avail, as they failed to test Jones.

Down the other end Boundford fired over but chances were at a minimum as the Robins saw the game and progressed to the next round.

Robins - Jones, Williams, Sears, Mills-Evans, Harries, Goodwin, Mitchell, Boundford, Rushton (Cartwright 62), Murphy (Kenton 76), Reed

Subs not used - Perry, Price, Evans 

Guilsfield - Andrew, Bromley, Richards, Rogers (Jenkins 72), Litchfield, James, Cook (Weetman 90), Ford, Hamilton, Cathrall, Irvine

Subs not used - Jones, Leonard