Latest News

Robins denied point at Bangor

REPORT - Bangor 3-1 Robins

Newtown failed to get the New Year off to a winning start at Nantporth as a George Harry second half double handed the Citizens all three points.

In bitter conditions in North Wales Bangor assistant boss Gary Taylor-Fletcher opened the scoring midway through the first half with a smart volley.

Harry curled an effort beyond Jones at the start of the second period, but Bangor failed to kill the Robins off and Neil Mitchell headed them back in 20 minutes from time.

And Ryan Sears had the ball in the net minutes later, but a dubious offside decision denied the defender a leveller.

Then Bangor killed the game off and settled the contest when Harry lashed home in the dying moments.

Chris Hughes opted to stick with the side that produced a superb win at TNS last week, with new signing Alex Fletcher among the substitutes.

Early on Dean Rittenburg fired over, before Luke Wall crossed for Harry at the back post, but luckily for Newtown the midfielder fluffed his lines when he looked certain to score.

As ever when you face Bangor, former Blackpool and Leicester striker Taylor-Fletcher was showing his class, and provided a tidy knock down for Rittenburg after ten minutes, but he failed to hit the target.

On 17 minutes the pressure did finally pay, but the Robins defence were unhappy with linesman failed to raise an offside trap.

Steve Hewitt's superb chip over the Robins backline for Taylor-Fletcher was volleyed home by the frontman, but the Reds were incensed the linesman didn't raise his flag.

Ten minutes later the Robins were guilty of missing when it really looked easier to score.

Craig Williams’ corner was dropped by Matthew Hall into a crowd of Newtown players, with managed to blast it over from four yards out.

Five minutes before the break the Robins had Dave Jones to thank to stop the Citizens from doubling their advantage.

Rittenburg mis-kicked in the box before setting himself up for another go, and Jones save the first one, and had to throw a hand at the ball to push it wide when it looked to be spinning in.

The second half began with Bangor having a sustained spell off pressure, but only managing a long range volley over from Laurence Wilson.

But ten minutes into the half winger Harry produced a special effort to give his side a two goal buffer.

Luke Wall spread the ball to Harry on the left flank, and he cut inside before curling an effort beyond Jones and into the corner.

Chris Hughes’ response was to send on three substitutes in the space of ten minutes, with Ryan Kershaw, Alex Fletcher and Joe Kenton coming on.

The latter flashed a shot wide moments after being introduced, before Jamie Reed lashed inches wide from a Ryan Sears knock down.

But the home side were looking very dangerous as Taylor-Fletcher failed to convert after Jones had parried Rittenburg, before the Bangor assistant boss dragged way wide when one on one with the keeper.

And minutes later Newtown punished the hosts for failing to kill off the game, as the reduced the deficit with the first effort on target.

Fletcher, who returned to the club this week produced an inviting cross and Mitchell beat his marker to head over Hall.

The Robins were looking dangerous going forward, with Fletcher pulling the strings but Bangor always had a cutting edge going forward.

Five minutes from time and Sears thought he had levelled it as he turned the ball home after Hall parried Kershaw’s effort, but the flag was up to deny the defender a second goal in as many games.

And with the next attack all but sealed the game on the break.

Jones stopped Wall’s shot, with a second effort blocked, and the Robins failed to clear their lines allowing Harry to fire into the roof of the net and kill the game off.

Bangor - Hall, Holmes (Owen 87), Kennedy, Wall, Gossett, Henry, Taylor-Fletcher, G Williams, Hewitt, Rittenburg, Wilson

Subs not used - Roberts, Demetriou, Jones, Shaw

Yellow – G Williams 84)

Robins - Jones, Williams, Mills-Evans, Sears, Harries (Kenton 54), Goodwin (Fletcher 59), Denny, Boundford, Mitchell, Reed, Rushton (Kershaw 59)

Subs not used - Perry, Evans,

Yellow – Goodwin 39, Mills-Evans 53, Kenton 72, Kershaw 80