Latest News

Robins sink to narrow defeat

REPORT - Robins 0-1 Aberystwyth Town




The Robins sunk to a narrow defeat at home to Aberystwyth Town on a disappointing afternoon at Latham Park.

After a poor first period, Joe Phillips scored what turned out to be the winner on the hour mark.

Chris Hughes’ side had late chances to level it up, but it was too late as they sunk to defeat just a handful of days after the JD Welsh Cup elation of midweek.

Aberystwyth began on the front foot without creating any real openings, before the Robins started to grow into the game.

Ryan Kershaw had a shot deflected, before flashing a volley wide from a knock down off a Luke Boundford throw in.

Both sides were struggling to carve out real openings, in a less than entertaining opening 20 minutes.

Aberystwyth called for a penalty soon after, but claims Craig Hobson was tripped in the box were waved away by referee Tom Owen.

Nick Rushton, fresh from his player of the month nomination saw a tame header gathered by Chris Mullock, before Boundford powered a header high over the bar.

It took until the 35th minute for a real chance to be carved open, as an Aber free kick fell to Tom Owens whose goal bound effort was deflected behind.

Aber went close from the resulting corner with a scramble that was eventually cleared, in an uninspiring first half.

The first five minutes of the second period provided almost more action than the whole of the first.

First Rushton drifted past two players and slipped in Boundford, but he could only drag his shot wide of the mark.

Then Aber carved the Robins open, with Phillips running clear on the left but he was denied by the outstretched right hand of Dave Jones.

Boundford was again denied by Mullock, before the visitors sprung a counter attack and got themselves in front.

John Owen found Phillips on the left, and he cut inside and lashed a shot across Jones and into the corner.

Following the goal on the hour mark, Aber enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure, with Owen and Phillips the two danger men.

After riding a mini storm the Robins got themselves back in the game, and began pressing and probing.

But a stern Aber defence limited them to just a curling effort from Kershaw, before Aber should have doubled their advantage.

With Newtown pushing on, a long ball saw Owen spring the offside trap, but his low drive was straight at Jones.

Newtown were continuing to probe, and stuck on Ethan Jones and Craig Williams but they just couldn’t find a way through.

In the dying minutes they twice caught Newtown pushing on, with Owen first denied by Jones before Kurt Sherlock volleyed wide in injury time.

In the final minute of injury time the Robins should have snatched a point, as Boundford put a ball across the box that just needed a tap in.

Then a knock down saw Jay Denny have a shot blocked, and Ethan Jones before Kershaw powered an effort over.

It wasn’t the last action, as Sherlock nearly made it safe but his dipping volley strayed wide of the post.

Robins – Jones, Williams, Mills-Evans, Sears, Roberts, Fletcher, Kershaw, Boundford, Goodwin (Denny 68), Mitchell (E Jones 74), Rushton (C Williams 84)

Subs not used – Perry, Harries, Evans

Yellow – Mill-Evans 79

Aber – Mullock, Wollacott, Owens, Melvin, Hobson (Sherlock 83), Owen, Borrelli, M Jones, Young, Allen, Phillips (Kellaway 90)

Subs not used – Kersh, Rimmer, Walters