Newtown Under 12's

Newtown AFC Under 12's

under12s swansea nightA_1

Back - left to right

Robbie Howells (Assistant coach), Caleb Thorpe, Jamie Howells, Harvey Samuel, Niall Clarke, Declan Ward, Steffan Evans, Ifan Davies, Will Lister.

Front - left to right

Daniel Briskham, Jack Jones, Daniel Evans-Dulson, Alfie Betton, Tommy Rowlands, Ross Isaac, Callum Pratten.


Saturday 4th April, 2015

Newtown U12s (with two guests) act as Mascots for the First team before their historic Welsh Cup semi-final victory over Rhyl FC at The Rock, Cefn Mawr.


Sunday March 22nd, 2015

Connahs Quay 3 v 0 Newtown U12s

The U12's travelled to Connahs Quay hoping to end the season on a high. Robbie and Ian Howells took the smaller squad of ten hoping for a good result.

The boys started the game fairly anxiously and  were nervous on the ball but soon found their feet, 5 minutes into the game the boys gave away a cheap corner and a good headed finish gave the homoe side the lead.

The boys did not let drop their heads and some good build up play between Dan Briskam and Steff Evans gave us our first chance which the keeper saved well resulting in a corner which again tested and pressured the keeper who parried it out and we went in at half time a goal down.

We went into the second half hoping to get an early goal, some excellent defending between the back three of Jack Jones, Harvey Samuel and Efan Davies kept the opposition out, Josh Traylor-Hall and Oliver Higgins linked well in the midfield and Jamie Howells and Dan briskam kept trying to break the deadlock.

Callum Pratten came on for Jamie Howells and had an immediate impact, his shot again testing the oppossing keeper. A quick counter attack by Quay led to another quick goal, the boys pushed on and kept fighting, a great shot by Steff Evans tested their keeper with another brilliant save.

Down the other end of the pitch Niall Clarke pulled off some tremendous saves to keep the opposition at bay, but another quick counter attack and good build up play resulted in Quay's third goal -  final score 3-0

Sunday March 15th, 2015

Newtown 2 v Flint Town 1

Squad from: Niall Clarke, Harvey Samuel, Tommy Rowlands, Declan Ward, Jack Jones, Lloyd Davies, Will Lister, Oliver Higgins, Josh Traylor-Hall, Steffan Evans, Caleb Thorpe, Daniel Briskham, Efan Davies, Callum Pratten, Ross Isaac & Jamie Howells.

Scorers: Steffan Evans x 2

MOM: Stefan Evans

A bright opening for Newtown with Steffan Evans causing all sorts of problems with his pace and eye for goal, and after a couple of early half chances, he made no mistake on 4 mins played, he skipped past the last defender and unleashed a power drive that left the Flint town goalkeeper with no chance.

Newtown settled well into the first 20mins of the game and dictated most of the play, but after wholesome changes to the line up, they soon began to lose control of the game they had earlier been on top of, and on 23 mins they conceeded a very easy goal that came in from a set piece from Newtown's right hand side, and a Flint player ghosted past our left full back for an easy equaliser.

The game became very competitive and niether team had any upper hand, both teams squandered chances but the score remained equal until the final 5mins, when Steffan Evans scored a overhead kick out of nothing to double his tally.

Although, Newtown were not at there best, they still created chances and in form Oliver Higgins remained a threat and thumped the crossbar with an excellent volley that deserved a goal.

Flint played their part in an entaining game and should have taken more from the game, a fair result should have been a draw, but it was pleasing to see Newtown have a share of some luck on the field of play.

Our last competative league fixture next Sunday is away to Gap Connahs Quay, match details will be available on Tuesday evening during training.

Thanks for all your support today.

Player of the Month Award for February, 2015


8th March

Llandudno 2 - 2 Newtown


Pictured left is Jack Jones of Newtown in the match at Llandudno.

In a game that the young Robins knew they had to be at their best, they did just that and should of and could have snatched all three points.

Going into the game after some mixed performances, every Newtown player contributed to an entertaining game at Llandudno.

Some changes made to the usual line up and structure saw us play some of best football in weeks, Josh Traylor-Hall took up his role in midfield with a maturity beyond this young age, Efan Davies started at right back and looked to have played there on a regular basis and Sfeffan Evans took to the role of forward with desire and an eye for goal.

This saw us compete in every position of the pitch and we got our reward deep into the first half, when Jack Jones refused to give up and his terrior like attitude saw him flick a ball over the back three and onto the head of Steffan Evans and he expertly directed the ball over the advancing keeper to put us into the lead at half time.

Five changes around half time took its toll on our shape and we lost the middle part of the game with some sloppy defending but still chances were created and we had a goal ruled out for offside and missed a coule of half chances.

In the final third of the game we again looked like the team that began so well and we finished the game strong and it was Steffan Evans again who got our second after some tidy work down the right wing from Tommy Rowlands.

Although there are players mentioned and highlighted in this report it was so pleasing to see everyone play a part in a great game of football.

Onto Flint Town next week now and the same is to be expected.

22nd February

Newtown v Bala Town

Scorers: Tommy Rowlands x 2

MOM: Niall Clarke

Squad from:

Niall Clarke, Harvey Samuel, Declan Ward, Tommy Rowlands, Jack Jones, Ross Isaac, Jamie Howells, Daniel Briskham, Steffan Evans, Efan Davies, Callum Pratten, Josh Traylor-hall, Oliver Higgins & Will Lister.

The boys didnt play to their potential today which was dissapointing. We made hard work of even the basics today. We had to rely on Tommy to twice drag us level and keep the game interesting for the spectators.

Niall was equally important to us as he made three top class finger tip saves in the second half and without his heroics the scoreline could have been much worse. Just when we looked to be making a game of it the weather changed dramatically and too many of the boys began to hide and feel the cold and this killed the game off as a contest. Take nothing away from Bala as they too had the foul weather to contend with but i guess when you are on top and enjoying success, the elements have less of an affect on you individually.

Sunday 11th January

Futsal tournament at Queensferry


Prestatyn Town 0 v Newtown 6

Scorers: Efan 2, Jack, Tommy, Steffan, Callum

A great start to proceedings with a completly dominant display, everyone contributing to some supurb futsal.

Match 2

Newtown 4 v Colwyn Bay 4

Tommy 2, Callum, Jack

Such a contrasting match with some sloppy play and decision making. Credit to Colwyn Bay who gave it a good go leading 0-3 at one point in the match. A good fight back led by Tommy.

Match 3

Llandudno Town 4 v Newtown 0

Knowing this was set to be one of our toughest tests both Robbie and i are proud of the performance in terms of the number of chances we created. Slightly below par performance in defence but Llandudno could not have moaned if this turned into a high scoring draw.

Match 4

Newtown 0 v Bangor City 2

Another tough encounter with same ending. Again, some positives must be taken from this clash, loosing Efan to a nasty nose bleed took the shine of a gutsy performance against a strong Bangor team.

Match 5

CPD Porthmadog 1 v Newtown 3

Scorers: Steffan, Callum, Jack

A pleasing close to week 3. Again everyone took part in a hard fought contest and grinding out a good result.

Sunday 14th December


Newtown 2 v Airbus 7

Scorers: Callum & Tommy

It was an even first half with the young robins going in at half time level at 2-2. A complete disaster of a second half, heads dropped and workrate stopped, resulting in an under par performance.

Newtown 2 v gap CC 3

Scorers: callum & Tommy

A much improved performance with Tommy putting in a five star performance leading by example. However, the result did not do the boys justice and they can be unhappy with not getting something from an entertaining game.

Newtown 0 v Flint 7

Completely outplayed and outfought by a strong Flint Town. It was dissapointing with the manner of such defeat and a harsh lesson learnt.

Newtown 1 v Rhyl 6

Scorer: Steffan

Hard to understand why the boys couldn't compete the way they give against stronger opposition, having said that, some credit must be given to the opposition for making the most of the chances that they came across.

So, all in all a real bad day at the office for the young Robins, lets just hope they all learn from this experience and return stronger.

Sunday 7th December

Futsal at Queensferry

Without Manager, Craig Edwards, Sam Lawrence took charge of the Under 12s and they responded well winning all three games.

Newtown 2-1 TNS

Newtown 7-1 Bala

Newtown 3-0 Cefn Druids

Sunday 30th November

Newtown U12s v Airbus U12s

MOM Callum Pratten


Niall Clarke, Tommy Rowlands, Declan Ward, Jack Jones, Steffan Evans, Oliver Higgins, Efan Davies, Will Lister, Callum Pratten, Jamie Howells, Daniel Briskham, Ross Isaac.

Looking at the scoreline it would suggest we did not have a good day nor did we make a game of it. However, on both counts we did quite the opposite and the boys played their part in an entertaining encounter that had Airbus on the back foot for large chunks of the game.

Things started brightly and within two minutes we began to test one of the best keepers we have played against. Steffan drove through the middle of the park and had a good early shot to warn of our intentions. The young Robins dominated the early exchanges and should have been rewarded with a couple of goals for thier efforts.

On 21mins Efan also broke clear and with just the keeper to beat, again on this occasion the goalkeeper came out on top with a top quality save. Corner after corner we looked dangerous and with a bit more conviction, we should have registered goals.

Half time 0 - 0

The pitch was begining to make our normal passing game difficult and Callum had been working hard to trouble the back two of Airbus, everytime the ball was played into him, he hustled and bustled his way into goal shooting positions. On the 41st minute he expertly turned his marker and unleashed a trade mark shot that had the keeper beaten but ahain lady luck was not on the Robins side as the ball crashed against the crossbar and to safety.

The following minute of the game turned in favour of our opposition and after some poor defensive play, we found ourselves picking the ball out of our net, against the run of play.

Steffan continued to work hard through the middle of the park and wormed himself free and into a great shooting position, but the quality of surface ensured his shot was slightly miss cued.

Airbus, sensed it was not going to be our day and doubled their advantage with a deflected shot that had poor Niall rooted to the spot with only 8 minutes remaining.

In the final 5mins the Robins seemed heart broken after such a devestating second goal and as much as they pressed to claw their way back into the game it was Airbus who registered another two quickfire goals.

It has to be said that the commitment, attitude and desire from every Newtown player cannot and should not be questioned,keep working hard boys, the rewards will come at some point.

Sunday November 16th

Newtown 6 v Porthmadog 0

MOM: Efan Davies


Under 12s squad joined with Newtown Under 14s Girls team as Team Mascots for the 2-1 victory at home to Bangor City on 16th November.

Squad from: Niall Clark, Declan Ward, Tommy rowlands, Jack Jones, Oliver Higgins, Steffan Evans, Lloyd Davies, Efan Davies, Callum Pratten, Jamie Howells, Daniel Briskham, Will, Lister, Ross Isaac.

Following last weeks win away at Cefn Druids, it was Porthmadog who stood in our way to climb the league table. With Harvey Samuel missing to an injury picked up from the good result at Cefn, it was Declan Ward who was asked to marshal the back three.

He did so with composure and great presence when called upon. It was the attacking style of play that caught the eye today, it was the combination of Oliver Higgins and Steffan Evans that got us bossing the game from the off. With them both pulling the strings it was only a matter of time before we took took the lead. The ball played out wide to Efan Davies was well centered but missed out the advancing Callum Pratten, Lloyd Davies coming in from the opposite wing made no mistake as he latched onto the ball with power and direction.

Callum Pratten who has hit a patch of form then scored probably our best goal to make it two, he latched onto a ball through the middle from Steffan and as usual when facing the goal Pratten unleashed an unstoppable drive that took everyone by suprise. He doubled his personal tally prior to the half time whistle with a real poachers goal.

Half time 3-0

Tommy_Rowlands_U12_awardPictured left is Tommy Rowlands, the Player of the Month for October receiving his award from Club Chairman, Elwyn Preece today. Several changes to personnel did not sway the game in favour of our opposition and each player contributed to another three second half goals. Tommy Rowlands got a deserved fourth with another edge of the box power drive. It was a case of, if Tommy can, Jack Jones can who then scored an exact replicar of goal. With the game heading to a close it was man of the match Efan Davies who got our sixth of the game and we pleasingly hld on to a clean sheet.

Lots of positives to take from the performance today, two weeks time we entertain Airbus Uk, a game we need to be at our very best to keep our advance up tye league table. Well done all.

November 9th

Score: Cefn Druids 2 – 5 Newtown

Man of the Match: Steffan Evans


Niall Clarke, Tommy Rowlands, Declan Ward, Harvey Thomas, Steffan Evans, Oliver Higgins, Jamie Howells, Dan Briskham, Efan Davies, Will Lister, Callum Pratten


Steffan – 9’ , 41’

Callum – 50’ 58’ 60+1’


After a promising display against Bangor the previous weekend, Newtown’s young Robins showed further improvement on the field as they came across a Cefn Druids side who, themselves have had various degrees of success this season.

Before Kick-off it was fantastic to see both teams coming together to pay their respects in a minutes silence for Remembrance Day.

It was the young Robins that started brightest, dominating the early exchanges with the boys playing a nice passing game. However they were dealt an early blow as defender Harvey Samuel landed heavy after a strong challenge, ending his game prematurely. Everyone at Newtown wish him a speedy recovery.

Coach Robbie Howells reshuffled the team and found almost instant success with Steffan finding the net after 9 minutes. This only helped boost the confidence of the Newtown side as they pushed on looking for more. Unfortunately despite creating chance after chance they could not find their finishing touch and were punished on the 14th minute when Cefn Druids worked a well-executed counter attack to make it 1-1. Despite having the majority of the ball Newtown soon found themselves 2-1 down after 21 minutes when Cefn Druids buried a penalty.

Half Time: 2-1

After an effective team talk from Robbie the boys had not let their heads drop and attacked Cefn Druids from the off. Efan came closest after great play from the midfield he drove a low shot goal bound only to find the goalkeeper pull off a good save to tip the ball onto the bar. Newtown finally made their break through after a strong run from Steffan opened up a chance which he took excellently to bring the game back to 2-2.

From here Newtown soaked up the pressure well with the defensive line of Declan Ward, Tommy Rowlands and Will Lister playing their parts well.

The game looked to be finishing in a draw entering the final 10 minutes, however, Callum Pratten made sure that was not going to be the case. With Cefn Druids pushing forward trying to break the deadlock Callum found himself virtually unmarked on the edge of the box after a good counter attack and never looked like missing to put Newtown 3-2 up.

Cefn Druids fought valiantly to try bring the game back but in doing so left gaps in their defensive line which Callum twice more took to his advantage scoring again in the 58th and 60th minutes.

Well done boys on a very solid display. Very proud coaches!

November 2nd

Newtown 1 v Bangor City 3

Mom Jack Jones

Squad from:

Niall Clark, Tommy Rowlands, Jack Jones, Declan Ward, Steffan Evans, Oliver Higgins, Will Lister, Efan Davies, Callum Pratten, Jamie Howells, Ross Isaac & Daniel Evans-Dulson.

Following a match to forget the previous week, this one was one to remember. Going into the game with a slightly depleated squad and the knowledge that the opposition have been knocking the goals in for fun it was evident the boys would have to be back to their best...they didn't disappoint!

It was pleasing to here from the Bangor coaches that we had put up a stern test and played our part in a real game of football.

It was Bangor who opened the scoring on the 21st minute of the game, following a mix up between Declan Ward and Niall Clarke in goal. Dec' s back pass was mistakingly picked up by the in form keeper, the resulting in-direct free kick was thrashed into the roof of the net, giving no one a chance to block.

Half time 0-1

Everyone seemed to think it would be matter of time before we equalised in the second period, however, Bangor had other ideas and doubled their tally with only 5minutes after the break.

This seemed to spur the young Robins on and they pushed hard for a goal, after a series of corners, Tommy Rowlands was asked to pick out the head of Declan Ward who met the set piece with power and headed the ball into the Bangor net, game on!

It was looking like we may just find the equaliser, and Bangor could not argue if it came. But as the game was drawing to a close and with the Robins pushing harder and harder to find a way through the well organised defence of bangor, it was cruel to see Bangor break away with barely a minute on the clock to go, and put the game to bed.

Much was said prior to the game, coach's Craig Edwards & Robbie Howells had asked for a response to the poor performance against TNS the week before and every player deserves a mention for raising the standard of their game and making it such an entertaining game to be part of.

October 26th

Newtown 0 v TNS 6


Niall Clarke, Alfie Betton, Harvey Samuel, Declan Ward, Tommy Rowlands, Jack Jones, Steffan Evans, Lloyd Davies, Callum Pratten, Will Lister, Caleb Thorpe, Daniel Briskham, Jamie Howells, Daniel Evans-Dulson, Ross Isaac

MOM Jack Jones

It was not the best of mornings for Newtown. The expectation of a close fought game was nowhere near becoming a reality.

It was TNS that flew out of the blocks and they had the ball in Newtown's goal within 6mins following a corner that was not fully cleared. The second goal came on the stroke of half time after it looked like we could make a game of it.

During the break coaches Robbie Howells and Craig Edwards asked for more urgency and desire from the lackluster Robins. Unfortunately, it was not to be and we conceeded another four goals in a below par performance.

Credit must go to TNS for breaking up every attack we could muster, but we must be disappointed with today's showing and will have to be back to our very best when we entertain Bangor City next Sunday.

Heads up boys!

October 19th

Prestatyn 6 v Newtown 2

Mom : Lloyd Davies

Line up:

1. Niall Clarke, 2. Harvey Samuel, 3. Jack Jones, 4. Declan Ward, 5. Oliver Higgins, 6. Lloyd Davies, 7. Tommy Rowlands (CAPT) 8. Efan Davies, 9. Callum Pratten. Subs: Alfie Betton, Jamie Howells, Will Lister, Daniel Briskham, Caleb Thorpe, Daniel Evans-Dulson, Ross Isaac.

Such a bright start to the game from Newtown, they seemed to adapt to the windy conditions and played lovely carpet football. As early as the second minute Lloyd put Tommy clear and his rasping shoot struck the upright to safety.

Newtown opened the scoring on the sixth minute with Efan Davies reacting the quickest to a scrappy goalmouth moment.

It was Newtown who controlled the game, until the 18th minute the opposition had a longe range free kick that eluded the outstretched arms of Niall Clarke.

Things got worse for Newtown a minute later when a set piece caught the back three of Newtown ball watching.

Tommy Rowlands had a great opportunity to level the scoring on 25mins, his thungerous shot hitting the crossbar with no one on hand to tap in the deserved equaliser.

On the strike of half time Newtown conceeded thier 3rd from nothing.

Half time 3-1

Only 6mins into the second half and Efan re directed a Tommy Rowlands free-kick into the net, making a game of it.

It was against the run of play, Prestatyn broke away, with a hint of offside to make it 4-2.

With Newtown throwing everything at the game it was Prestatyn that broke away another two times to give the home side a comfortable but somewhat dubious victory.

Coach Robbie Howells, and Craig Edwards said afterwards ' we believed we always had a chance to go away with at least a point, sometimes in football you suffer losses'.

October 12th

 Newtown 1 v Brickfield Rangers 0

MOM: Declan Ward

Line up

1. Niall Clarke, 2. Declan Ward, 3. Tommy Rowlands, 4. Ross Isaac, 5. Stefan Evans, 6. Oliver Higgins, 7. Lloyd Davies. 8. Will Lister, 9. Ifan Davies subs: Jack Jones, Callum Pratten, Caleb Thorpe, Daniel Briskham, Jamie Howells, Alfie Betton.

Brickfield Rangers, from the Wrexham & District Youth League played their part in an entertaining game at Latham Park. They had some good early possesion and it was clear Newtown would have to be at thier best to remain in the game. Declan Ward marshalled the back three superbly and was by far, Newtowns best player making some last gasp tackles, even more pleasing was his composure and ability to build from the back.

The game was evenly poised at half time, but the introduction of Callum Pratten seemed to bring Newtown to life and after a couple of chances that tested the keeper he broke free and unleashed an unstoppable drive that went in off the post.

This did not detere the Brickfiled boy's and to thier credit they never gave up and still pushed for the equaliser until the final whistle came.

On a more serious note there was an injury in the closing stages to one of the Wrexham boys, and after a lenghy delay he was taken to the hospital by parents with concerns to his arm. It is confirmed he broke a bone and is now in plaster for the next 5 weeks. Everyone at Newtown AFC sends our best wishes for a speedy recovery.


September 21st 

Rhyl 3-1 Newtown 

Newtowns goal - Jamie Howells 20mins
MOM - Harvey Samuel
1. Niall clarke, 2. Jack Jones, 3. Tommy Rowlands, 4. Harvey Samuel, 5. Efan Davies, 6. Ross Isaac, 7. Steffan Evans, 8. Will Lister, 9. Daniel Briskham. Subs. Jamie Howells, Alfie Betton, Caleb Thorpe, Declan Ward, Daniel Evans-Dulson.

Such an entertaining game, with both teams playing some good attacking football. It was Newtown who seemed the most likely to open the scoring, Steffan Evans surged into the box and was upended and everyone shouted 'penalty'....with no referee present, it was a few seconds before the man with the whistle decided to agree. In what seemed an age before the ball was placed, Efan Davies took the responsibility to go one on one from the spot, unfortunately he fluffed his lines and the game remained scoreless.

However, within the following minute, Tommy Rowlands delivered a pin point corner and Jamie Howells powered home the header from close range on 20 minutes.  Minutes later it was Rhyl that threatened the Newtown goal and thankfully the chance went begging. Just as everyone was preparing for the half time whistle Rhyl got back on level terms as they closed down an attempted clearance and they pounced on the loose ball to fire home from 10 yards out.

The second half started as lively as the first and both teams had half chances to go into the lead and the best chance fell to Efan Davies who's surging run resulted in him having just the Rhyl keeper to beat, again the keeper stood firm and came out on top.

As the game was looking to become a stalemate it was Rhyl who went ahead from their very own set piece with a firm header that gave Niall Clarke no chance from close range with 12 minutes to go.

With Newtown pushing for a deserved equaliser it was a cruel blow to conceed a third on the final whistle. Coach, Craig Edwards said he was very proud of the performance and was more than happy with every player in an entertaining game.


September 14

Colwyn Bay 3-5 Newtown

Robins: Clarke, J Jones, Rowlands, Samuel, S Evans, I Davies, Lister, Isaac, Briskham

Subs: Pratten, Howells, Betton, Thorpe, Evans-Dulson

Goals: Pratten 2, I Davies 2, Lister 

 Match Report: Craig Edwards 

The opening 15 minutes was a tentative affair with both teams having a fair share of possession,  however on 17 minutes Tommy Rowlands had Newtown's first real shot at goal.

The resulting corner again troubled the defence,  and following a half hearted clearence, the ball fell to Callum Pratten, who turned sharply to fire our first goal of the new season into the bottom right corner.

It only took a minute for Colwyn to cancel out our opener after some sloppy defending of our own, although credit to the players in question they had received strict instruction to play out from the back but on this occasion they got caught.

Just as half time was approaching, it was Callum Pratten who again took Newtown into the lead and we saw out the first half, finishing strongly.

It was all one way for long periods of the second half and after some attacking alterations it was down to Ifan Davies to lead the line and within the next ten minutes he had doubled our advantage scoring two well taken goals, either side of another goal conceded against the run of play.

Will Lister then glided down the line and after beating a couple of players he fired towards goal to give Newtown a 2-5 lead going into the final few minutes.

On the stroke of full time, Newtown conceded their third of the game, however this didn't overshadow his strong performance throughout the contest.

Man of the match - Tommy Rowlands