Barry Town United logo
final Score

Notice: Undefined offset: 443 in /home/customer/www/ on line 118

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/ on line 118

Notice: Undefined offset: 30 in /home/customer/www/ on line 118

Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/ on line 118
Newtown AFC logo



The Robins had to settle for a point in South Wales as Barry secured the final Europa League play-off spot in an entertaining clash at Jenner Park.

Ethan Jones returned to the side and fired Newtown into an early lead, before Jonathan Hood cancelled it out with a strike just before the break.

Dave Jones was hardly tested in the second period, with the lion’s share of the chances going the Robins way, but they couldn’t find a winner.

Chris Hughes made three changes to the side that lost last week’s JD Welsh Cup semi-final, with Jones returning up front in place of Nick Rushton.

The Robins started with a front two of Jones and Luke Boundford, with Alex Fletcher just behind and the system allowed them to control the opening 15 minutes of the game.

Jones almost laid on the opener for Boundford ten minutes in, but his low cross was cleared by Chris Hugh.

However with the first real chance of the game Jones made no mistake to hand his side an early lead.

Ryan Kershaw robbed the ball off Lewis Cosslett with a superb tackle on the half way line, before driving forward and playing in Jones.

The striker then took his time before coolly slotting the ball under the advancing Mike Lewis for his third goal in his last three starts.

The Robins had control of the game and were looking dangerous going forward.

They could have added a second shortly before the half hour mark as a ball found Boundford in the box, but his pass to play in Jones was loose and the chance went.

Barry, who’ve won six out of their last six games were getting up to the final third but failed to carve out a scoring opportunity in the opening half hour.

Jordan Cotterill’s tame shot called Jones into action for the first time, before out of nothing Barry drew themselves level.

A ball down the left flank found Hood who cut inside, before curling a low shot across goal and beyond Jones into the far corner.

The Robins almost got themselves back in front with their next attack, as crossed from the right for Jones, but the striker’s tame effort was easily gathered by Lewis.

It was the Robins who began the second period on the front foot, and they passed up two good chances early on to re-claim the lead.

First Craig Williams’ corner found Boundford who powered a header narrowly wide of the mark.

Then Jones beat the full back and crossed for the unmarked Kieran Mills-Evans six yards out, but he could only fire straight at the keeper.

It was the Robins having all the chances as Kershaw lashed just wide from distance, before Alex Fletcher saw two efforts of his own go wide of the mark.

Despite having little in the way of goal mouth action in the second half, Barry were inches away from taking the lead 20 minutes from time.

Drew Fahiya’s right wing cross almost found the head of Hood, but the wide man couldn’t get anything on it and the chance went astray.

Gavin Chesterfield’s men then had the woodwork to thank, as Boundford’s deflected strike dipped and came back of the underside of Lewis’ crossbar.

Five minutes from time the Robins had a penalty shout turned away, after Callum Roberts’ cross hit a defender, with the Robins players calling for a handball.

It was all Newtown late on but they couldn’t find a winner and had to settle for a point.

Barry – Lewis, Southam-Hales, Watkins, Cosslett, Hugh, Greening, Saddler, Newman (McLaggon 64), Cotterill, Fahiya (Gerrard 86), Hood

Subs not used –Demetriou, Morgan, Massaro, George, Davidson

Robins – Jones, Williams, Mills-Evans, Sears, Roberts, Harries (Mitchell 72), Denny, Fletcher, Kershaw, Boundford, E Jones

Subs not used – Perry, C Williams, Goodwin, Kenton

Yellow – Harries, Fletcher 76


14/04/20182:30 pmCymru Premier2017/18