Connah Quay Nomads logo
final Score
3 - 1
Newtown AFC logo


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Connah Quay Nomads123Win
Newtown AFC011Loss


Newtown slipped to their second defeat of the week against Connahs Quay on a tough night in Deeside.

It was an awful start as they fell behind within a minute, when Jay Owen lashed home from a knock down.

Newtown had half chances throughout the game, but nothing clear cut.

Nomads doubled their lead through Ryan Wignall, before Callum Morris headed into an empty net in the dying minutes to seal the win.

Luke Boundford scored a late reply but it was little consolation for the Robins.

Chris Hughes made one change as Craig Williams returned from suspension in place of Ethan Jones.

Newtown wanted to bounce back from last week, but they got off to the worst possible start.

Andy Morrison’s side are known for their set pieces and they worked one to perfection after just 52 seconds.

A free kick from deep was headed out to Owen, who met the ball perfectly to lash a volley into the bottom corner.

Newtown then settled with Nick Rushton having a header saved, before some expert defending from Ben Bailey kept it at 1-0.

A wicked cross across the face of goal was back heeled away in cool fashion.

Bailey headed a Craig Williams corner wide with the Robins trying to get themselves back on level terms.

They were trying to play through the visitors but to no avail.

However a move did almost get through just after the half hour mark, as a cross field ball found Callum Roberts, who found Steve Leslie and his volley was deflected over.

Connahs Quay hadn’t created an awful lot before the goal, with just a couple of wayward Michael Bakare efforts to show.

On half time the Robins should have had a free kick in a good area as Danny Holmes grappled Roberts to the ground, but claims were waved away.

Newtown began the half with more conviction and had a half chance to get back on level terms.

Alex Fletcher broke to find Rushton with the striker firing across the face of goal, but no one was there to tap home.

They were the side on top and a quality free kick from Leslie almost found a Robins head.

However it became an even tougher task on 70 minutes as despite dominating the second period, the Robins shipped a second.

Possession was conceded at the back and Wignall ran clear to slot under Dave Jones.

Newtown almost grabbed an immediate response but Roberts’ free kick beat the wall and sailed just over.

Ethan Jones, who was introduced to the game alongside Sam Phillips had a couple of sniffs at goal but the ball wouldn’t drop for him in the penalty area.

Despite the pressure, it was the Nomads who went on to seal the game in the 88th minute.

Hughes will be disappointed with the manner of the goals conceded, as Wignall cross found Andy Owens whose header bounced twice on the bar before Morris nodded into an empty net.

In stoppage time a through ball breached the Robins back line, with Boundford beating the keeper.

But it was little consolation and the Robins will need to pick themselves back up now as they entertain Cardiff Met next weekend.

Newtown AFC

1Dave Jones Goalkeeper
5Kieran Mills-Evans Defender
19Craig Williams Defender


Deeside Stadium
96 Kelsterton Rd, Connah\'s Quay, Deeside CH5 4BJ, UK


DateTimeCompetitionSeasonMatch Day
14/09/20187:45 pmCymru Premier2018/196

Game in pictures

    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/ on line 208