Newtown AFC logo
final Score
2 - 0
Barry Town United logo


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Newtown AFC112Win
Barry Town United000Loss


Two injury time goals in each half from Joe Kenton fired Newtown up to third in the JD Welsh Premier League.

Both sides were looking for a win to take them within a few points of the summit, and it was Newtown who prevailed in a tight affair.

Joe Kenton capitalised on a defensive blunder on half time to volley home, before the striker broke in second half stoppage time to secure the victory.


Sam Phillips was given his first start since the opening day, as Chris Hughes made one change with Steve Leslie dropping to the bench.

It was billed to be an entertaining clash with both sides among the in form outfits in the league.

The sides were trying to play attractive stuff from the off, with the visitors retaining the ball better in the opening ten minutes.

The first chance fell to the Robins, as Mike Lewis denied Ben Bailey his first Robins goal when he tipped over his goal bound header from a Craig Williams corner.

The chance led to Newtown having a spell on the front foot as Nick Rushton had a shot blocked, with Kenton inches away from getting on the end of a Phillips toe poked cross.

Both sides were enjoying spells of possession, but were cancelling each other out with Dave Jones hardly tested in the home goal.

Ten minutes before the break the Robins were handed a chance on a plate to take the lead, but the play was pulled back in strange fashion.

Lewis’ goal kick was short and Rushton intercepted with a defender getting back to clear for a corner.

However referee Kevin Parry pulled it back for an apparent rolling ball on the goal kick, to the disgust of the Robins bench.

Neil Mitchell, fresh on the back of his 200th Robins WPL appearance and player of the month nomination tested Lewis, but it was Barry who had the best chance late in the half.

A through ball caught Newtown cold with Drew Fahiya running through, but the winger’s last touch was too heavy and Jones smothered the danger.

Just as it looked as if the half was petering out, the Robins broke from a Barry corner and grabbed a half time advantage.

A corner was cleared and a ball pumped forward, and as Lewis misjudged the bounce Kenton capitalised and lobbed the keeper to give his side the lead.

Fahiya went close twice early in the second period, the second time blazing over from a good position in the area.

Hughes then introduced Leslie from the bench, and he went close soon after coming on as he had a volley blocked, before firing one over.

Barry were beginning to build up some momentum as they searched for a leveler and were inches from getting one 15 minutes from time.

Momodou Touray’s cross almost found Kane McLaggon but Jones raced off his line to scupper the chance.

Then almost immediately Newtown nearly added a second, but Mitchell headed Callum Roberts’ cross over the bar.

Barry continued to press, but Newtown’s rearguard held as firm as they have all season.

And in the 92nd minute they snuffed out an attack and allowed the attacking players to secure the game.

Leslie found Kenton who drove into the box, before smashing the ball beyond Lewis and in to make it four wins in four and send Newtown into the top three.

Newtown AFC

1Dave Jones Goalkeeper
5Kieran Mills-Evans Defender
19Craig Williams Defender


Latham Park
Latham Park, Newtown SY16 1EN


DateTimeCompetitionSeasonMatch Day
06/10/20182:30 pmCymru Premier2018/199

Game in pictures

    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/ on line 208