Newtown AFC logo
final Score
2 - 0
Caernarfon Town logo


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Newtown AFC112Win
Caernarfon Town000Loss


Ten man Newtown secured the first three points of the campaign against new boys Caernarfon Town.

Joe Kenton struck in the first half for his second in as many games.

The Robins had chances but were struck with a red card midway through the second half as captain Craig Williams saw red.

Caernarfon went close late on, but as they piled forward Newtown broke and Neil Mitchell sealed the victory.

Chris Hughes made two changes from last week’s game as Kieran Mills-Evans replaced Tom Goodwin, and Kenton, who scored off the bench last week came in for Nick Rushton.

The game was a frantic affair early on as neither side could really settle, with possession being squandered by both teams.

Ben Bailey had two speculative efforts fly high and wide, and that was the closest either side came to a goal in the opening 25 minutes.

Sam Phillips and Kenton were both looking lively down the left, and almost forced the Cofis into a mistake as a sloppy pass across the box was almost pounced on, but goalkeeper Alex Ramsey was their to clear.

The visitors hadn’t had sight of the Robins goal, but they had two superb chances gifted to them on the half hour mark.

Alex Fletcher gave the ball away in the middle of park and Gareth Evans ran clear, however Dave Jones was their to smother the danger.

Cai Jones was then thwarted as the Cofis began to come into the game.

A dangerous Phillips cross down the other end was hooked clear, before some first class defending from captain  Williams kept the scores level.

Sion Bradley beat the offside trap and rounded Jones, and just has he looked to slot it home Williams recovered to clear the danger.

A scramble ensued shortly after as Newtown looked on the ropes, but they rode the storm and managed to take a chance at the other end.

A smart move saw Ethan Jones play in Kenton, who fired through Ramsey’s legs for his second goal in two games.

Nathan Craig fired over a free kick before the break, then immediately after the re-start the Robins had two good chances to take the lead.

A speculative cross come shot from Kenton was clawed away by Ramsey, before Jones was denied when one on one with the visiting keeper.

Phillips had a shot saved, before a deep cross from Neil Mitchell evaded Ramsey and came back off the post, but no one was there to take advantage.

Former Robins forward Jamie Breese came off the bench, and he almost laid one on a plate for Bradley but Jones came out to smother him.

It was back and two for the next ten minutes, before a flash point came ten minutes before the end.

Williams lost possession and he lunged in on Breese and seemed to get the ball, but referee David Morgan brandished a straight red card for the Robins skipper.

Seconds later the visitors were almost level, but Rhys Roberts’ powerful header from a corner went just wide.

Caernarfon huffed and puffed and shaved the cross bar at one point, but as the game went into injury time the Robins struck on the break.

The visitors gave the ball away and Newtown broke, with Jake Cook finding Fletcher who squared it for Mitchell to slot home and secure the first win over the season.

Newtown AFC

1Dave Jones Goalkeeper
5Kieran Mills-Evans Defender
19Craig Williams Defender


Latham Park
Latham Park, Newtown SY16 1EN


DateTimeCompetitionSeasonMatch Day
17/08/20187:45 pmCymru Premier2018/192

Game in pictures

    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/ on line 208