Newtown AFC logo
final Score
1 - 1
Carmarthen Town logo


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Newtown AFC101Draw
Carmarthen Town101Draw


Newtown’s final match before Christmas ends in a 1-1 draw with Carmarthen Town in the Welsh Premier League.


The Old Gold’s Liam Thomas opened the scoring with a penalty on the 32nd minute but their lead was denied from the Robin’s Nick Rushton before the half time break.


The result means Newtown are still undefeated at Latham Park in their Welsh Premier League campaign after 10 matches.


Newtown will remain in the top 6 of the league table ahead of the festivities before they play their next match away to Aberystwyth Town on Boxing Day.


The Match

Chris Hughes made no changes to the line-up that beat Llandudno Town, 3-1, from last Saturday while defender Craig Williams was serving his last match ban from the red card he received at the beginning of the month.


The opening 45 minutes was an even game of football as Newtown hoped to strengthen their chances of finishing in the top six while Carmarthen are aiming to avoid the relegation zone.


The first real opportunity landed on Newtown was after 11 minutes when Alex Fletcher, last week’s man of the match against Llandudno, produced a cross for Luke Boundford to convert home but just couldn’t hit the target.


Five minutes later and the Robins were on the attack once more after a quiet spell when Steve Leslie collected the ball from a throw in who fancied his chances but his attempt took a deflection.


On the 20th minute mark, Leslie got himself available for a 25 yard shot but the accuracy was not there.


After half an hour the visitors were awarded a penalty after what was seen as a 50/50 tackle inside the Newtown box.


Liam Thomas stepped up to the plate and tricked Dave Jones in going the other way putting Carmarthen into the lead at 0-1.


The Old Golds had nearly doubled the lead nine minutes from the break as Jones made a terrific double save to keep the scoreline at 0-1.


The Newtown goal stopper denied Luke Bowen’s shot before flicking a headed ball over the bar – heroic piece of goalkeeping.


Newtown equalised three minutes before the interval thanks to Nick Rushton who headed in from Callum Roberts’ delivery from the left wing.


The hosts could have taken the lead before the conclusion of the first half when Rushton picked up a loose ball in the Carmarthen penalty area, but scuffed his shot from close range.


After the half-time break and there were no substitutions recorded during the interval. The second half would be 45 minutes to be proud of for Carmarthen goalkeeper, Lee Idzi.


His opening save arrived on the 51st minute Rushton played a short pass to Steve Leslie who drilled his shot from the edge of the box but saved from the fingertips of Idzi.


Boundford thought he’d scored the leading goal when he chipped the ball over Idzi only to rattle the top of the crossbar after 54 minutes.


Just before the hour mark, Newtown had another golden opportunity when a dangerous low ball cross from Neil Mitchell found Sam Phillips, at the face of goal, but missed the back of the net.


Idzi made an appearance once again by making a fine save from Boundford’s teed up attempt on the 63rd minute.


The second half was starting to see Newtown dominate with the number of chances they were given in Carmarthen’s half.


17 minutes from the final whistle, Leslie was still looking for his first goal of the game this time with a drilling shot only to be denied once again by Idzi.


Newtown would then experience a very scary moment with seven minutes left on the clock when Carmarthen’s Lee Surman rockets his shot over the bar.


It would prove to be the last goal threat of the game as neither side could find a late winner.




Newtown AFC: 1. D. Jones (GK); 3. C. Roberts, 5. K. Mills-Evans, 6. J. Denny ©, 7. N. Mitchell, 8. N. Rushton, 9. L. Boundford, 10. S. Leslie, 11. J. Kenton, 17. S. Phillips (81′ 14. E. Jones), 23. A. Fletcher.


Substitutes: 13. J. Perry, 14. E. Jones, 16. G. Cadwallader, 24. J. Cook.


Yellow cards: 3. Callum Roberts (65′), 10. S. Leslie (78′)



Carmarthen Town AFC: 1. L. Idzi (GK); 16. M. Davies, 6. L. Surman ©, 4. D. Vincent, 3. J. Knott, 14. C. Morgan, 7. D. Carroll, 18. L. Thomas, 9. L. Bowen, 17. S. Hanbury (70′ 5. C. Hanford), 8. G. Walters.


Substitutes: 5. C. Hanford, 15. L. Baldwin, 19. J. Woodford, 12. J. Vickers, 20. D. Thomas.


Yellow cards: 16. Mael Davies (74′)


Referee: Tom Owen


Man of the Match


Post-Match Interview with Chris Hughes






Next Match


Newtown AFC

1Dave Jones Goalkeeper
5Kieran Mills-Evans Defender


Latham Park
Latham Park, Newtown SY16 1EN


DateTimeCompetitionSeasonMatch Day
22/12/20182:30 pmCymru Premier2018/1918