Aberystwyth Town logo
final Score
Newtown AFC logo


Newtown’s JD Welsh Cup dream was ended Maes Tegid as Declan Walker’s brace fired Aberystwyth into the final.

The top scoring defender headed the Seasiders in front midway through the first half, before doubling the lead from the spot early in the second period.

The Robins rallied in the last 20 minutes, and reduced the arrears through Nick Rushton’s penalty, but it wasn’t enough as Aber saw the game out to book their place in the final.

The opening 20 minutes of the game was a cagey affair with neither side able to carve out any sort of chance.

Possession was going back and to, before the first goal scoring opportunity seemed to spark the game into life.

The ball found Neil Mitchell on the edge of the box, and he cut inside before curling a shot inches past Chris Mullock’s post.

After no chances in 20 minutes, Aber then had their first chance of the game and took the lead with a superb move.

Joe Phillips’ cross field pass cut the Robins defence open, and allowed Matthew Jones to cross for Walker who powered a header home at the front post.

The Robins went looking for an immediate reply as Ryan Sears had a header saved, before he looped a header high over the bar from a Luke Boundford long throw.

On the half hour mark Craig Williams’ low cross found Boundford but he failed to get a clean strike on the ball and Aber cleared.

Shortly after Alex Fletcher drove forward and got into a good position on the edge of the box, before sliding the ball to Rushton whose low cross was blocked.

Late in the half the Seasiders could have increased their lead but for some superb last ditch defending from Sears.

A long pass led to striker Craig Hobson bearing down on goal but just as he was about to pull the trigger, the on loan Shrewsbury man got a toe in to clear the danger.

Ryan Kershaw lashed a shot over at the start of the second period, before the task of getting back into the game got even harder for Newtown.

Dave Jones came rushing out to try and deny Ryan Wade, but as he chipped the keeper the referee judged he had found the midfielder and pointed to the spot.

Jones was booked and Walker stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and give Aber a two goal buffer.

Nev Powell’s men were in the ascendency and had the Robins penned in, as they went looking for a third to all but kill off the game.

Wade’s low cross was palmed into the path of Damien Allen, but the Robins defence scrambled to get the ball away.

The Robins managed to settle and went close to pulling a goal back as Williams’ cross found Rushton, but he could only head into the side netting.

Aber were looking dangerous going forward, and should have been out of sight 25 minutes from time, but Wade failed to connect from a Melvin cross when free in the box.

The Robins then passed up a superb chance to get back in the game 20 minutes from.

Williams’ corner from the right found an unmarked Sears but he could only power his header wide of the mark.

However moments later, they were offered a lifeline as referee Lee Evans awarded a second penalty of the afternoon.

Kenton’s cross was adjudged to have struck the hand of Ashley Young, and Rushton stepped up to slot the spot kick home.

The game led to a spell of Newtown pressure, but they huffed and puffed without test Mullock in the Aber goal.

As Newtown  pushed on Aber had chances to further increase the lead as Jones denied John Owen and Melvin fired over.

It wasn’t to be on a frustrating afternoon for the Robins, who are back in league action next week against Barry Town United.

Robins – Jones, Williams, Mills-Evans, Sears, Kenton, Denny, Mitchell (E Jones 60), Kershaw, Fletcher, Boundford, Rushton

Subs not used – Perry, Harries, Goodwin, C Williams,

Yellow – Kershaw 19, Williams 45, D Jones 52, Mills-Evans 60, Fletcher 90

Aberystwyth Town – Mullock, Walker, Wollacott, Melvin, Hobson (Owens 69), Owen, Wade (Borrelli 80), Jones, Young, Allen, Phillips (Sherlock 76)

Subs not used – Kersh, Kellaway,

Yellow – Melvin 78, Owen 90


07/04/201812:00 pmCymru Premier2017/18