Llandudno 0-0 Newtown AFC

Newtown couldn’t find that elusive goal in a scoreless draw on the North Wales coast.

Joe Kenton went closest in the first period, but it was the Robins who handed Llandudno the best chances through mistakes.

In the second period it was all Robins, with Neil Mitchell and Kieran Mills-Evans both going close, but the Robins had to settle for a point.

Chris Hughes was forced into one change as Craig Williams began the first of his three match ban.

Jake Cook came in for his first start, playing in an unfamiliar position of right back.

The other change came in the form of Steve Leslie, who was named on the bench for the first time this season.

The most action of the opening half hour came on seven minutes, when a huge melee ensued following a couple of heavy tackles.

Captain for the day Jay Denny left nothing behind, taking ball and man in tackle, and with the Llandudno players unhappy there was no free kick, Zyaac Edwards went flying in late on a Robins player.

A scuffle began between the player ended with Edwards and Callum Roberts going into the book.

The Robins were trying to play some good stuff, but were being denied by a solid home rear guard.

Joe Kenton went closest to a goal on 12 minutes, when he blazed Alex Fletcher’s through ball over from a narrow angle.

Leo Smith curled a shot wide at the other end, but it was the defences who came out on top in the opening 30 minutes.

Newtown thought they had been given a penalty ten minutes before half time, as the assistant referee judged Mike Pearson had handled.

However the ref gave it outside the box, and Roberts’ free kick struck the wall.

Then in a mad five minutes the Robins almost gifted Llandudno three goals.

First John Owen fired wide after Ben Bailey conceded possession, and then on the edge of the area Newtown gave it straight to the striker, but he couldn’t find the target.

Then within seconds Dave Jones dragged a goal kick to Smith, who found Owen but the Robins stopper recovered well and denied the striker.

Jones produced another top stop soon after, reacting quickly to deny Pearson with a one handed save.

Alex Fletcher’s long throws at the start of the second period were coming to nothing.

However the Robins best chance came on 56 minutes, when Ethan Jones pulled it back for Neil Mitchell but his goal bound effort struck a sea of Llandudno bodies.

Newtown were having all the pressure as Neil Mitchell fired wide, before Kieran Mills-Evans lost his man at a corner but glanced just wide.

Then a Fletcher free kick was nodded back across the box by Mills-Evans, then back again by Kenton but no one could find a touch and Llandudno cleared.

Hewitt had a shot go wide, but Llandudno rarely threatened up to the 80th minute.

When they did get into good areas, debutant Cook, who had a cracking first start was in to cover.

Hughes introduced Leslie and Luke Boundford for the bench, with the former Shrewsbury man having a shot blocked soon after coming on.

Leslie then went into the ref’s book after a scuffle with Kai Edwards, before he curled a free kick into the Llandudno wall.

For all the pressure in the second half, the Robins almost got hit with a sucker punch at the death but Mark Connelly could only balloon a header over.