Halesowen Town 2-1 Newtown AFC

The Robins fell to their first defeat of pre-season at Midland outfit Halesowen Town.

With a near full squad, Newtown took the lead inside 15 minutes as Ethan Jones fired home, before Lee Hughes leveled within seconds.

Both sides had chances through the game, but it was a Bradley Lewis header midway through the half that settled the scores.

It was the Robins penultimate pre-season outing and Gavin Cadwallader named three of his summer signings in the starting line-up.

Two standout names in the Halesowen line-up were former West Brom forward Hughes and ex Wolves man Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, and both went close early on.

Within a minute Ebanks-Blake found Hughes, but his low effort was saved by Dave Jones.

Then minutes later a deep corner found the ex Wolves man whose firm header was palmed away by the Robins stopper.

15 minutes in and with their first attack the Robins found the net, as Jones continued his pre-season purple patch.

A cross found Alex Fletcher and his shot was saved, but Jones was on the spot to bundle the ball home.

However within seconds the scores were level.

A poor defensive header was pounced on by Hughes who took his time, before firing low under the Robins keeper.

The game was hard fought with both sides trying to get the ball down and play.

They were exchanging chances as well with Fletcher dragging an effort wide, before Ebanks-Blake was denied at the other end.

A quick corner almost caught Halesowen cold on the half hour mark, as Craig Williams found an unmarked Neil Mitchell, however he could only power a header over.

Former Telford man Jack Rea was looking sharp for the Yeltz, and he had a powerful shot stopped by Jones just before the break.

The second period began in the same vein as the first, with both sides having chances.

Jack Kelly fired a wicked ball across the Robins box, with no home striker able to get on the end of it.

Then Jones fed Fletcher at the other end, however he was denied when one on one with Dan Platt.

Luke Boundford volleyed over as the Robins were seeking to get their noses in front, in what had been their toughest pre-season test so far.

On the hour mark Halesowen produced one of their best chances, but Jones was equal to a strong Ahmed Ali effort from inside the box.

Substitute Joe Kenton lashed high and wide, before the Yeltz took the lead from a set piece 20 minutes from time.

Kelly’s deep cross found Lewis who headed down and into the net.

Roland Agbor had a late free kick saved, as it was Halesowen doing all the pressing late on.

The Robins couldn’t get out and create chances, and fell to their first season defeat.

Halesowen Town – Platt, Tonks, Kelly, Goddard, Bragoli, Rea, Ali, Rea, Hughes, Ebanks-Blake, Lawton

Subs – Hawarth, Gilpin, Ekongo, Agbor, MacPherson, Lewis

Robins – Jones, Williams, Bailey, Goodwin, Roberts, Phillips, Fletcher, Denny, Boundford, Mitchell, E Jones

Subs – Perry, Harries, Kenton, C Williams, Cook